WMM Westford Colonial Minutemen

Probable Appearance of 1770's Westford Landmarks


Westford's present First Parish Church building is the third version to reside on Westford common.  The first (c. 1725) was replaced in the early 1770's and the second burned in December of 1793.  The third was completed c. January 1795.  Early "meeting houses" did not incorporate belfries into their structure, as is so familiar today, but had separate belfries standing nearby.  

Westford's belfry was built c. 1763, hanging the bell 15 feet above the ground.  Records indicate that the structure was more than a simple frame since it required significant work and substantial material.  Of the people who were paid to work on it, the person who worked the longest appears to have been Henry Wright, Jr., who was paid "for twenty eight days' work." Nathaniel Boynton was paid "the sum of £14-10, for work & stuf & Painting and glazing and plastering."

This representation  is taken from an image of Lexington's belfry.  Typical of area belfries, it is likely that it is a good representation of Westford's belfry which stood "southwesterly of the meeting house" and directly adjacent to the training field.

[Source: Hodgman ,pp. 77-79]

Col. John Robinson House

This image, based on early 20th century photographs, gives an artist's interpretation of the appearance of Col. Robinson's house in 1775.


Last Updated 30 January, 2003

[Home ] [Site Index] [History ] [Today's Minutemen ] [Col. John Robinson Trail ] [Schedule ] [Pictures ] [Links & Resources ]